Monday 20 July 2015

Fashion Friday With Haleema Mekani

Folks I bring to you the second edition of Fashion Friday. In this slot we strictly talk to fashion savvy peeps and this week, we managed to get in touch with one lady who literally breathes fashion. Haleema Mekani ,renowned fashion stylist, Fashion consultant and mentor for the young designers at Zim Fashion Week.

Having asked her what her personal sense of style is, this is how she responded :

My sense of style is definitely a "kaleidoscope of personal expression". I can only put together a look that I am 100% in love with. And if I don't feel inspired I don't bother getting dressed up. Forcing the situation would only result in self conscious doubts throughout the day and I can't be consumed by that.

This made me really believe that inspiration really is a major factor in one's sense of style. We then asked her who her favorite local and international designers are and this is what she had to say :

Locally there's a few that I've slowly become addicted to. Anyone who knows me can attest that Haus Of Stone is probably high on that list. I love Lady Targaryen back packs, any metallic accessory from DeeKawZee and of course my first local love Maita Marimo (her coats are to die for).Internationally, Africa included, I have always been a die hard Chanel addict, it was my introduction to the world of fashion and has stuck ever since. But I also love Taibo Bacar, Kamokini, Elie Saab, Prabal Gurung and BCBG & Herve Leger by Max Azria.

I'd say from this peeps you can really tell what we meant by that this lady breathes fashion. We then decided to hit her with our favorite twist of asking her how she'd respond if asked for a definition of STYLE for a dictionary and this is what she said :

My definition of style (dictionary or not) is "authentic creativity expressed through the use of visual aids encompassing clothing, accessories, jewelry, hair and make up in order to create yourself."It's a mouthful but it best describes (for me) what style is about. Being able to create then recreate yourself as a brand.

For a fashionista like her, we couldn't expect less. We then asked for some style advice since summer is around the corner (my fav part),and this is what we got:

When we think of summer we immediately fall into the trap of short, sleeveless or cropped, for the conservative it's maxi.I would rather opt for light, breathable and bright. There's so much you can do with just the right fabric, silhouette and color. Challenge yourself to explore a different side to your personal style and if you can't navigate around it all, call me!

Well you heard it folks, if you can't navigate around it get in touch with this goddess. Till next Friday then folks. Lovely weekend to all,!

No comments:

Post a Comment