Monday 14 September 2015

Obyniq by O'brien Methuselah

We've gone past the fevers of Zim Fashion Week and all we left with are memories and throwbacks. Well folks we decided to take you back a bit through talking to one of the emerging designers O'brien Methuselah who showcased his expertise at the event and this is what we managed to come up with..

SaZw - StylearchiveZW

SaZw : So O'Brien, please tell us the history behind the label Obyniq and when it started?

O'brien : Obyniq is a combination of my name O'Brien and my uniqueness as depicted in my clothing line.. IT is all about bringing and delivering creative style in the men's world. It started about 5 years ago when a friend of mine mentioned my dresscode as "O'by unique " that's when I felt my fashion juices flowing through my bloodstream.

SaZw : Wow really interesting. So how did you get into designing and what do u find most interesting about it?

O'brien : As I was growing up I've always pictured myself dressing celebrities and famous people and i would help my family members on deciding what to wear to a special occasion. My style on it's own also pushed me to want to make clothes of my own as I do not like wearing an outfit similar to what the next person is wearing and I believe we all should look good in different ways.

SaZw : I strongly believe that's a really true view in the fashion world. So please tell us, you just officially launched your label at ZFW2015 with your Resurgence collection, please tell us about the collection and where you derived your inspiration from?

O'brien : "Resurgence " has been the best thing for me so far. In 2012 when I showcased at clothing indaba, one of my outfits (maroon denim outfit) made a good statement and left everybody talking about it and by so, it inspired my current collection, that's why you saw lots of maroons in it.

SaZw : I guess it was part of the reason I fell in love with the whole collection. So what would you say where the challenging parts in the whole process?

O'brien : Well, in my home country most men don't really understand the type of style I create, they just believe in the basic which I find not interesting.

SaZw : Hope I'm not one them hey (laughs). Otherwise, how was the experience like showcasing at the biggest fashion show?

O'brien : It was amazing, although I was nervous at first, I later regained my confidence when I noticed people's reaction and appreciation. I met different awesome individuals and their reaction was quite good just as I anticipated.

SaZw : The nervousness really was expected hey considering it was such a huge event. So would you say your work reflects your personal style?

O'brien : Definitely, that is why I ventured and specialized in menswear because everytime I'm designing I picture myself in the garment then I become so passionate about it.

SaZw : Woow interesting. Please can you describe your style in a few words and where it derives it's inspiration from?
O'brien :  I'm a mixture of styles ie: Funky, Elegant , vintage, Stylish without overdoing it, ultra Chic, ultra class.

SaZw : Nice one. You really define fashionista. Well considering that this industry can be a bit harsh, what would you say makes you succeed?

O'brien : Believing in myself, delivering the best on time and finding the right market, most of all valuing time.

SaZw : Time is really an essential part in this industry, true. Lastly, what advice would you give to someone who wants to be a fashion designer?

O'brien :  I would say honey, if you are not strong enough, go find another career because the Fashion industry is all about struggle, survival of the fittest, it takes decades to be established so you gotta be yourself and think out of the box.

SaZw : Thank you very much Mr Obyniq. We had a lovely time talking to you and we wish you all the best in your fashion work.

O'brien : You welcome

So there you have it folks. For those who didn't know our fashion creator, I'm sure now you have all the details you didn't know . For those who nees some proper menswear, you can get in touch with this young designer on the details below. Then we managed to get some visuals from Obyniq's Resurgence Collection at the Zim Fashion Week thanks to Tnash Photography.

Obyniq Details
Email : obyniq91@gmail.com
Skype : @obyniq
Facebook : Obyniq
WhatsApp : +27616314306


O'brien Methuselah's final walk! 

No comments:

Post a Comment